Whilst writing my proposal a few months ago I decided I would try and 3D print some tools that I might need. I wanted to test how durable and feasible it would be to direct laser sinter in steel. This is my first piece made by sintered steel and the handle is a stick found in my allotment. I put holes in the piece to take the cost down but made them hexagonal to hopefully keep some strength in the piece. It cost about 20 euros to print and the end result is very sharp after I filed and polished the tip.
Hi Folks, this is my first blog post for what I hope to become a place I can document, share and record my ideas over the next few years, whilst researching my PhD.
I plan to spend the next few years building my own house and workshop and contents through 3D printing all the tools I will need.
This week I have started thinking about bedroom lighting and ceramic items. I 3D printed some press molds last week from my home 3D printer. I was restricted by the scale I could print from my M3D as it has such a small build plate size
One of the trickiest things about using the a press mold direct from the printer in plastic is it’s lack of porosity. Plaster molds will soak up some moisture from the clay allowing for some drying and making it easier to remove. The final results were a little wonky due to this.
I was thinking about smoothing off the press before using it. However I wanted to see what the effect of print lines would have to the texture of the porcelin. I was quite happy with the finished texture. I’m looking forwards to getting them fired and glazed.