Shot Glass Press molds

After spending Saturday and Sunday trying to print out the press mold from my M3D micro I have been left with a pile of nice white and orange spaghetti resembling parts of my mold.  I managed to get one half of the mold printed ok.  This is in orange PLA.  This morning David at the City of Glasgow College kindly printed the second half for me in a bright red PLA from the College ultimaker machine.  The ultimaker gave a much smoother finish than the M3D.  I will try the two parts with clay but may need to get both printed on the same machine.

Failed M3D print on lowest quality setting.

  Print from the ultimaker machine.

I did manage to get a few samples from the half build press molds over the weekend.  I placed the join of the molds where the join of the triangles meet in the piece so that the final piece is less messy to look at by eye.  I used my 3D printed Chizel to take the excess clay off the mold.

 


A few of the first pieces I tried were quite difficult to get out of the molds when wet.  I tried spraying the mold with wD40 before hand and then drying the clay a little with my hairdryer before removing.  This made the process much easier.


I am happy with the form of the pieces.  I think maybe I should try accentuating the overhangs in some places where they might be a little subtle or lost compared to other sections.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s