Today I have been trying out the press mold for my whisky glasses. The first few I did were a little floored but the more I made the better they became. My 3D printed chizel was perfect for cutting off the excess clay from the top of the mold. I was keen to see the effect of using molds printed on different machines. The mold from the ultimaker gave a much smoother finish to the pieces. I like the effect of the two contrasting textures.
Close up showing both textures in the clay.
Selection I have made so far.
Some of the vessels came out with areas that were not smooth. I found placing the clay back into the molds and pressing them again sorted out this problem.
Mold before use.
To speed up the drying process I used my hair dryer. This worked well for the clay but warped the outside of the orange mold slightly with the heat. The inside seems to not have been effected which is good.