Shot glass samples

I got back my shot glass samples from the second firing and glazing.  The red glaze was fired slightly too high and the colour burnt out.      I was however very pleased with the green.  It has a nice turquoise sheen to the surface.

    

Within the samples I experimented with different ways of glazing them.  Some of the samples had two coats anfd others had three.  I found that the ones that had three coats was too much and the glaze ran onto the kiln shelf.  Some of these broke when removing from the kiln and looked unsightly.  I shall therefore be glazing my final glasses with two coats.

  
This is my favourite design that I feel I will be using for the final run I will be making.  I have glazed the inside with white as it is non-toxic.

 Over the last few weeks I have also been re-printing the press molds at a greater size to take into account shrinkage.  I sampled this the other night.  I tried to make the walls a little thinner than in the samples so they will feel a little more delicate.  I had problems with one part of the top of the mold which has a deep overhang.  I cant remove the clay without this part ripping.  I have decided I will redesign this half of the mold and re-print it before making the full set.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s