A few weeks ago I sent away a CAD model of a jewellers hammer head to Shapeways. I got the model in the post on on Tuesday of this week. The hammer head cost just over £24 to print. I was able to design it the way I wanted it to look and personalised it with my hallmark.
I was very happy with the finished result of the print. Each of the faces of the hammer show the layers of the build and require to be sanded and polished. I have started to sand the flat side if the head which has been quite easy, although takes much longer than other metals. I am yet to start cleaning up the domed side. I feel this might be a little more tricky to get perfect.
After getting very excited about my hammer arriving and picking it up from the local shop I went straight to the park to find a suitable handle. I picked up a few sticks off the ground that looked roughly the right size and took them back to my flat. One of the sticks was very weak and snapped. The other I tested for strength before starting to work with the wood.
I used my 3D printed chizel to strip and carve the stick. This is the first time that I have really got to test my chizel. It worked really well. It both striped the bark with ease and carved really smooth and accurately.
I still have a little more work to do to get the hammer perfect. I need to make the connection at the top fit better and carve down the top of the shank a little to make it look more like it flows into the head. I am going to finish the handle by polishing it with Danish oil every day for the next week. Once I have done this I will attach to head permanently.