I used my texturing hammer to try and harden up the neck of the spoon. Although I like the effect I find think this is the right piece to use it on. I want my cutlery to be smooth and sleek and all about the lines. I think I may need to make a stake and planish these to a high finish to toughen them up.
I got my first press mould back from the make space this week. I decided I would just print the spoon to begin with as a test. I first used some 0.35mm copper to make sure both the press was strong enough and I can use the thin copper one as a master shape.
I after cutting this out I hammered it flat and used it as a template for a 1mm thick press.
I am happy with both the shape of the handle and the spoon, however the neck is a little thin and I feel I need to plannish this to strengthen it. I may need to make a stake for this as nothing is fitting in the workshop.
I spent some time cleaning up. I think I need to make the shape of the neck a little thinner on the template as this one was overlapping slightly. This will also hardened the metal more but I’m risking loosing strength in the width.
To be continued………..
This week I have started to design my cutlery in CAD. I have been thinking about this for a long while and trying to decide weather to hand forge them with my 3D printed hammer or press them. As I have time restraints on the build I decided that pressing them would cut down time in production of a large quantity.
I have played around with shapes and forms and decided to go for something simple but with a twist in the form. The CAD models have taken about 3-4 days of trying to come up with the best forms. I’m the end I used a combination of t-splines and surface modelling. Although the surface modelling took a lot longer I got better results.
I should get the press mold back next week to try the spoon as a test. Then I can make any tweeks I need to make to the design of the mould fore the rest or the range.