Stool design

After going through many CAD model designs for the stool.  I decided to have a go at constructing a stool thought 3D printing plastic joins that would hold the structure in place whilst welding.  I ran into a few problems very quickly in the construction of the base.  After welding most of the base together I realised that the steel had warped.  this could have been due to heat expansion.

There were also parts of the design that were too close together and difficult to impossible to weld.

After spending a few weeks on this I decided to go back to the drawing board and simplify the design.  I drew many other models that gradually became more simple.  I still wasn’t entirely happy with the construction and felt what I was trying to achieve was far too complex and may not end up with a good result.stool.png

After discussion with Jon Christie about furniture he suggested that a simple three lagged stool is the most stable stool you can have.  As the stool is for my workshop I felt it was an important design idea.  I then spent a few more CAD models perfecting just one element that would be 3D printed to hold together my stool.  stooltop

The piece can be screwed into the seat from the middle and the three legs can be slotted in.  I am now in the process of 3D printing a prototype to test the element.

seatbit

Advertisements

Stool Design

Over the last month or so I have been working on design algorithms using Grasshopper in Rhino 3D.  I decided to apply this fist to the stool I will need for my jewellery bench in the workshop.  The reason I chose to apply this to the stool is that I currently have a Pakistani rushty stool which is the perfect size and shape for my workbench.  So I decided to use this as the size and shape that I would use in rhino and then allow the computer algorithms to design the rest of the stool.

It has taken quite a long time and different models  perfect the final design.  I found that some of the T-splines wouldn’t Boolean union which meant I had to delete some elements.  I also had problems with some splines unioning but then the model had no volume.  To get around this I had to keep checking the volume and saving regularly to find and delete the bad splines.stoolrender

I have 3D printed a small model of the stool from my home printer.  Because the size of the university computer is about 20cm I have split the stool into eight segments that will all be printed separately.

From the model I printed I realised that the base of the model would be too thick, so to cut down on materials I have cut the larger model down to 5mm thick at the base.

The stool is now getting printed so I will be looking forwards to seeing the result.