I finally got my shot glasses back from their third and final firing. Again they are a little smaller than I had hoped . Some are more useable than others but I have enough for a collection. I am really happy with the finish on the glaze with the final green added. It gives the pieces individuality and makes then feel more organic.
I am also really happy with the way the detailing from the rough print has came out in contrast to the smoother mold printed.
Over the last few weeks I have been having problems with the goblets bending at the stem and touching other items in the kiln. Although I gave a few of them a knock and they came apart they are imperfect and I plan to redesign the whole thing.
The pint tumblers are working out great. I have a perfect set of four now and a few more in the process of making.
Today I got back my shot glasses from their first glaze firing. I have painted them all with the green glaze I bought and tested a few months ago. I decided to paint them all different to each other so that when they are being used people know which one is their glass.
I am still not having a lot of luck with the wine goblets. The one that I tested last I left to dry before cleaning up to see if it holds together better. When I came to clean it up I noticed it had a slight lean and a small crack at the bottom of the stem. It is still in tact and I have put it in to bisque fire however I am not very hopeful and I plan to redesign the whole goblet and start again to make it stronger.
On the plus side I got back two more pint glasses which I glazed today. I am very please with how these are working out and I will soon have a set.
The plan that I came up with yesterday to leave the goblet alone to dry is so far working. It was still standing after four hours so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this approach will work.
I also managed to cast another pint tumbler today. I am starting to become really quick at these. They cast like a dream, are easy to take out of the mold and are also very quick to clean up as they only have two seams. The following image also shows the goblet I made on Monday which is also cracked at the stem.
This afternoon I got all my shot glasses from the bisque firing as well as one of the pint glasses. I glazed these with clear porcelain glaze. I plan to fire for a third time with the green glass I used for my test pieces. I dipped all the vessels into the glaze and then touched up where my finger prints were with a paint brush. Afterwards I removed the glaze from the underneath by rubbing them on a wet carpet.
Shot glasses after bisque firing.
Vessels after glazing and painting over finger prints.
Yesterday, alongside the goblet I also managed to slip cast my first tumbler using the three part mold I made last week. This mold worked perfectly and the final piece was much easier to release from the mold and clean up than the goblet. It was all over more structurally sound and I was very happy with the finished product. I have now left it to dry before bisque firing.
The two molds cast and waiting to dry for 15 minutes.
Cutting off the top edge with a potters knife.
With this piece I smoothed down all the inner and top edges with a sponge before taking it out of the mold. This kept the all over strength of the piece. I will be taking this approach with the run of all my final pieces.
This is the piece straight out of the mold with the messy seams.
This is the final result after cleaning with a sponge.
There was some discussion about how thin the tumbler is. I will be able to review this after firing.
Today I finished off making my tumbler slip cast mold. I started my filing down the two parts I had made last week. I keyed in 3 lock holes and the cleaned and soft soaped the top surface. Instead of drilling into the top section after casting as I had done with the previous mold, I built a clay cone on top.
I then clamped around the wooden walls and sealed the edges with clay.
After drying, I took off the wooden walls and then filed the sides down and scraped with a kidney.
I am very pleased with the accuracy of this mold. It has worked much better than the goblet mold as it was far less complicated to make. I have left the mold to dry for three days before I will try using it for slip casting.
I have started to make the mold for the tumbler. This was much simpler than the goblet design as it had much less undercuts within it. The tumbler mold will only have to be in three parts as apposed to the five parts needed for the goblet.
Building the first side wall
Building and clamping the wood walls and sealing sides with clay
The first pour.
The first mold taken apart.
Cleaning up the first mold and adding the key holes.
Building the wood walls and sealing for the second pour.
I got my 3D prints back today of the goblet and tumblers that I will be slip casting into clay.
I am very happy with the scale and weight of the goblet. The tumbler is a little larger than I had expected. It is about the size of a pint glass. I may end up slip casting this and then making a smaller version as a tall glass size.
This afternoon I have been building a 3D model of a design for a drinking tumbler. Because of the height of the piece I will find this hard to press from a mould so I am going to try and slip cast this along side the wine goblets. The CAD model is just over 16cm which I am hoping will give a good size after taking into account shrinkage during the firing process.
I am going for a similar design to my whisky glasses as I wish for the same theme to run through out the collection that will be used in my kitchen. These pieces will be smooth all over as apposed to the whisky vessels which have texture down one side.