Crochet Blanke and Fibonacci Throw

I finished my large blanket for my bed last week.  I added on tassels down the two sides.  This was mainly to mask where I had missed a few stitches at the sides.  The blanket is really heavy.  I spent roughly £200 in wool on this.  I am very pleased with the final result although it took over a month to make and cost rather a lot in money.

  
I then spent 4 days teaching myself how to make Granny squares and made a throw arranged in the Fibonacci sequence.  This costa far less than the last blanket and took 4 -5 days to complete.  I spent £80 on wool for this piece.

 I used two strands of wool for this as apposed to the four that I used for the previous blanket.

 My cats helped in the process as well making sure the throw was effective in warmth and comfort.

Cushion Cover

Today I have managed to finish one side of my cushion cover.  Only another 11 to go!  While I was making this piece I noticed my hook was occasionally snagging the wool making the piece less tidy.  I have decided I am going to reprint the hook in ABS plastic as apposed to the PLA and then smooth it down afterwards using acetone.  This will also give me the opportunity to make the handle a little larger.  I was constricted by size on my last print because of the size of my home print bed.

  

Crochet

I haven’t posted much of the crochet I have been making over the last month yet.  I have had a few projects on the go so here they are:

My first project I finished was a snood.  As it was my first finished item I wasn’t entirely sure what I was doing.  I set out to make a normal tube shaped snood.  However, after a few rows I realised that I was making a Mobius loop.  This happened at the stage where I joined the first loop together.  After crocheting the second row I skipped over to the other side which meant as I continued to crochet out the snood grew from both sides.


My second project was a pair of hand warmers.  However I didn’t take into account the amount of black wool I had left, so I am waiting for more to arrive in the post to finish the second one.  With the hand warmers I figured out how to crochet straight after the first row not creating a Mobius loop.


I thought I would then treat myself to a warm headband to keep my hair out of my eyes when I’m working. This took about two hours to make and again is a Möbius loop as I think it adds a subtle bit of interest in the piece when worn.


I have started making my first cushion covers for adding the soft finishing touches to my home.


This is the first one I started, however I made some mistakes at the edges of the pieces.  I am going to take this one apart and start it again.

This Is the second cushion cover I have started making.  I am much happier with the edges of this as I have perfected the changing stick at the end of the pieces.


This is my biggest project so far.  I have began to make a blanket to be used either in the bedroom or as a throw in the living room or the container.  So far I have spent two full days making this one and as I have ran out of wool I will need to wait a few days to continue.  I plan to add in a lot of black and monochrome strips to this with a few hints of bright colours.  I also plan to add tassels to the edges.  I suspect that by the time I finish this piece I would have spent a few weeks time making it.  I really love the feel of the piece and it is already quite heavy and warm.  It will be a very functional piece and I feel the fact it is entirely handmade will add to the unique feeling.

Bedroom light jig

I have spent the last few days drawing up the jig for making the steel section of my bedroom light.  I have emailed this off to DJCAD to get printed in resin.  I have made the triangles about double the size of my jewellery work as I know how long it will take me to weld the piece together.  The last time I made something of this scale was my 3D printed bowl I made in 2007 which took 1,200,000 zaps of the laser and over a month of 9-5pm to make.  I am hoping the change in scale will cut down some of the build time by about a week.  I have also thought about what size of wire I will use to make the piece.

bowl

Karen-Ann Dicken: Laser welded bowl- 2007

I usually use 0.5mm steel, which is about the thinnest you can laser weld.  I think I may use about 0.8mm for the light which will make it a little stronger also, but without taking away from the aesthetics.  I have made the holes on the jig 1mm with a 1mm wall thickness.  In the past I have made the holes smaller but this gives a higher risk of them filling with resin during the build.

  
Jig made in Rhino.

 

Bedroom light

For one of my first projects I have been designing the light which will be in my bedroom in the shipping container. The designs for my bedroom are quite minimal with lots of hidden storage space. The light will be one of the few features within the room.


For many of my designs I was looking at quite organic forms. I have been interested in using ceramics within the piece. My designs eventually went full circle and I arrived back at my favourite technique of laser welding.

Out of the three final designs I came up with I am going to make the one with the closed top so that shadows will be projected around all of the room. I have also chosen to make the geodesic ceramic base as I feel this works better with my design than the plain version.

 

 Through some of my drawings I have been thinking about the power wires. Through discussion with my mentor I have came to the conclusion some kind of self charging light would be good so that no cables would be necessary, also adding to the aesthetics of the piece.