Bedroom light jig

I have spent the last few days drawing up the jig for making the steel section of my bedroom light.  I have emailed this off to DJCAD to get printed in resin.  I have made the triangles about double the size of my jewellery work as I know how long it will take me to weld the piece together.  The last time I made something of this scale was my 3D printed bowl I made in 2007 which took 1,200,000 zaps of the laser and over a month of 9-5pm to make.  I am hoping the change in scale will cut down some of the build time by about a week.  I have also thought about what size of wire I will use to make the piece.

bowl

Karen-Ann Dicken: Laser welded bowl- 2007

I usually use 0.5mm steel, which is about the thinnest you can laser weld.  I think I may use about 0.8mm for the light which will make it a little stronger also, but without taking away from the aesthetics.  I have made the holes on the jig 1mm with a 1mm wall thickness.  In the past I have made the holes smaller but this gives a higher risk of them filling with resin during the build.

  
Jig made in Rhino.

 

Porcelain bowl glazing

This afternoon I glazed my porcelain olive bowls ready for their final firing. I used a white mat crack glaze on the outside of the pieces and varied colours on the interior.  I initially wanted some kind of metallic glaze for the inside of the bowls but realise this would mean I wouldn’t be able to use them for food.  I opted instead for orange, red, purple and turquoise interiors.


  
 The porcelain will be fired at 1260 degrees.  I’m looking forwards to seeing the final pieces.

Porcelain bowls

I have got my bowls back from the bisque firing. Some of them are looking good.  Two are a little wonky due to both using the clay too thinly as well as the mold being made from plastic not plaster.  I am going to Glaze them on Monday so I hope they work out in the next firing.

Porcelain Project

Hi Folks, this is my first blog post for what I hope to become a place I can document, share and record my ideas over the next few years, whilst researching my PhD.

I plan to spend the next few years building my own house and workshop and contents through 3D printing all the tools I will need.

This week I have started thinking about bedroom lighting and ceramic items.  I 3D printed some press molds last week from my home 3D printer.  I was restricted by the scale I could print from my M3D as it has such a small build plate size

One of the trickiest things about using the a press mold direct from the printer in plastic is it’s lack of porosity.  Plaster molds will soak up some moisture from the clay allowing for some drying and making it easier to remove.  The final results were a little wonky due to this.

I was thinking about smoothing off the press before using it.  However I wanted to see what the effect of print lines would have to the texture of the porcelin.  I was quite happy with the finished texture.  I’m looking forwards to getting them fired and glazed.