Claw Hammer Test Print

Today I ran a test print of my claw hammer I designed over the last few days on the UP printer.  I wanted to check for size and scale and I may also take a cast from this into bronze.  I am very happy with the feel, form and size.  I am also going to 3D print one in hardened resin to test it’s durability.  I haven’t quite decided on how I will produce the handle yet.  I will be having a think about this over the next few weeks.  

    
   

 

Advertisements

Claw Hammer

For the last day or two I have been designing a claw hammer for larger scale use such as building my house.  I went through a few designs and decided I would make use of the CAD and design the hammer so that I wouldn’t have to wedge the handle at the top in a traditional way.  I designed the handle and the hammer head so that they join in the handle shaft.  hammer9

I got a little carried away with the handle when the hammer head started to look a little like a seahorse.  I’m not sure if I will keep the base section exactly like this or if I will simplify it a little before production and comfort.  I am hoping to cast the top section in bronze and get the handle either milled in wood or 3D printed in hard clear resin.

hammer5

Third Cupboard Handle

Yesterday I sand cast my third kitchen cupboard handle.  The strange part about sand casting is the pour.  I find that quite often when I think pouring the metal has worked, it hasn’t and vice-versa. This time I thought it hadn’t worked, but when I took the mold apart I found that a small bit of sand had fallen from the sides into the bottom of the mold.  This resulted in the handle having a large dint of missing metal in the back.  Although this wouldn’t be seen I have decided to recast this to make one more perfect.  I will be melting the metal to reuse for the next one.

IMG_2576

Cupboard handles

Last week I cast one of the door handles I 3D printed a few weeks ago.  I decided to use bronze as the melting temperature is less than brass and it is less toxic to cast.  I may still cast them in brass in the future. 

 At first I tried melting the bronze using two torches.  I wasn’t able to get a high enough temperature to make the metal liquid enough.  I then moved on to using the electric crucible which melted the metal with ease.  The first pour I made a mold of the door handle and a smaller version that I may use as jewellery. 

 After taking apart the larger mold I found that the pour hadn’t worked.  I think this was either down to the fact I pored with a hesitation or maybe the mold was too big.  It was still in tact enough to try again.  The second pour went well.  I sat the mold at a slight angle for the pour and also added air holes in to the mold. 

 I have started to clean up the handle.  I have cut off the sprue  and started to file some areas.  I might leave some triangles textured and some polished.  I plan to add a threaded post so I can fit it to the cupboards.