Claw Hammer Test Print

Today I ran a test print of my claw hammer I designed over the last few days on the UP printer.  I wanted to check for size and scale and I may also take a cast from this into bronze.  I am very happy with the feel, form and size.  I am also going to 3D print one in hardened resin to test it’s durability.  I haven’t quite decided on how I will produce the handle yet.  I will be having a think about this over the next few weeks.  

    
   

 

Cupboard handles

Last week I cast one of the door handles I 3D printed a few weeks ago.  I decided to use bronze as the melting temperature is less than brass and it is less toxic to cast.  I may still cast them in brass in the future. 

 At first I tried melting the bronze using two torches.  I wasn’t able to get a high enough temperature to make the metal liquid enough.  I then moved on to using the electric crucible which melted the metal with ease.  The first pour I made a mold of the door handle and a smaller version that I may use as jewellery. 

 After taking apart the larger mold I found that the pour hadn’t worked.  I think this was either down to the fact I pored with a hesitation or maybe the mold was too big.  It was still in tact enough to try again.  The second pour went well.  I sat the mold at a slight angle for the pour and also added air holes in to the mold. 

 I have started to clean up the handle.  I have cut off the sprue  and started to file some areas.  I might leave some triangles textured and some polished.  I plan to add a threaded post so I can fit it to the cupboards.

Handles

Today I 3D printed some handle ideas I made in CAD a few days ago.  They are designed around they way honey is found in cliffs in the wild.  I was thinking that it would be good to have slightly different handles on each cupboard so as they are all unique and will also emanate the differences in form and shape in the wild.

   
  
 I decided I wanted to smooth down the 3D prints before casting to see if the final sand casts would also be smoother.  I placed the prints into a container with acetone in and a covered lid.  I drilled small holes in the prints so I could stand them on a nail in the box elevated above the acetone.  When I checked them after an hour there was little change to the prints.  I added a little more acetone and left them for another hour.  I noticed that some areas had smoothed out and others hadn’t.  I tried balancing them on their side in the container and left them for another hour.  When I got back some areas had smoothed out too much and other areas still hadn’t.

   

  

The smaller of the two prints was very melted and bendy at the end.  I think I will reprint them and try using the acetone on a hot plate.  I have watched video’s on this and it seems to only take ten minutes at the correct temperature.  I think this may have a better effect in smoothing down the entire object.