This morning I amended my laser cutting bowl file from my failed attempt yesterday. I moved out the slats and ran a few tests to make sure the sections slotted in tightly.
I decided not to use any glue when slotting in the sections as yesterday it had reacted with the plastic and left a messy white stain.
It took a little tweaking to get all the parts to go in to the top and bottom sections, but the final piece holds together well.
I laser cut some rings the same size as the top of the bowl and glued them together using super glue to make a press mold.
I cut a piece of copper just larger than the press mold and annealed it.
I then placed the copper on the press mold with rubber above and pressed the copper.
I didn’t want the copper to snap at the rim so I took it up to two bar and then re-annealed it.
I pressed again taking the pressure up to three bars.
I then pierced out the edge of the copper bowl and filed it.
I used 280 grit wet and dry paper to put a mat finish on the copper using a circular motion.
Instead of polishing to a high finish which would oxidise quickly anyway I decided to use platinol to blacken the copper.
I am pretty happy with the finished piece although I am not happy with some of the platinol and may re-apply this tomorrow.
Today I tried laser cutting some of my bowl designs. I cut one version that slots in to the top and bottom and one that just slots in to a bottom section with a flat cut top.
I slotted the pieces together and glued them in to position, I found that the design was a little tight in the centre section. It was quite difficult to judge what the line thickness should be in CAD for the slots as the laser melts some material around it.
After squeezing together the plastic the piece smashed so I will need to redesign it for tomorrow.
Last night I went to a great exhibition in The Lighthouse, Glasgow called Weather Forms. The exhibition was about architecture and weather. I was impressed by a lot of the show and it was a big space to fill.
I was particularly impressed and proud of Inness Yeoman’s input, he helped out with two big installations as well as hanging a huge wall of paintings. I have known Inness for his whole life. He has been working for architect Paul Stallan of Stallan-Brand helping to put the show together.
Inness hung this instillation as well as make some of the models to the left bottom of this photo.
Behind the hanging exhibition was a laser cut city map which I found quite interesting.
Instillation which Inness Yeoman also helped with as well as a huge wall of paintings he hung.
Had a great evening all in all, I also want to thank Angela Dickson for great shipping container chat and my essential PhD starter kit she gave me.