This morning I amended my laser cutting bowl file from my failed attempt yesterday. I moved out the slats and ran a few tests to make sure the sections slotted in tightly.
I decided not to use any glue when slotting in the sections as yesterday it had reacted with the plastic and left a messy white stain.
It took a little tweaking to get all the parts to go in to the top and bottom sections, but the final piece holds together well.
I laser cut some rings the same size as the top of the bowl and glued them together using super glue to make a press mold.
I cut a piece of copper just larger than the press mold and annealed it.
I then placed the copper on the press mold with rubber above and pressed the copper.
I didn’t want the copper to snap at the rim so I took it up to two bar and then re-annealed it.
I pressed again taking the pressure up to three bars.
I then pierced out the edge of the copper bowl and filed it.
I used 280 grit wet and dry paper to put a mat finish on the copper using a circular motion.
Instead of polishing to a high finish which would oxidise quickly anyway I decided to use platinol to blacken the copper.
I am pretty happy with the finished piece although I am not happy with some of the platinol and may re-apply this tomorrow.
I used my texturing hammer to try and harden up the neck of the spoon. Although I like the effect I find think this is the right piece to use it on. I want my cutlery to be smooth and sleek and all about the lines. I think I may need to make a stake and planish these to a high finish to toughen them up.
I got my first press mould back from the make space this week. I decided I would just print the spoon to begin with as a test. I first used some 0.35mm copper to make sure both the press was strong enough and I can use the thin copper one as a master shape.
I after cutting this out I hammered it flat and used it as a template for a 1mm thick press.
I am happy with both the shape of the handle and the spoon, however the neck is a little thin and I feel I need to plannish this to strengthen it. I may need to make a stake for this as nothing is fitting in the workshop.
I spent some time cleaning up. I think I need to make the shape of the neck a little thinner on the template as this one was overlapping slightly. This will also hardened the metal more but I’m risking loosing strength in the width.
To be continued………..