Laser cut bowl

This morning I amended my laser cutting bowl file from my failed attempt yesterday. I moved out the slats and ran a few tests to make sure the sections slotted in tightly.
I decided not to use any glue when slotting in the sections as yesterday it had reacted with the plastic and left a messy white stain.  

It took a little tweaking to get all the parts to go in to the top and bottom sections, but the final piece holds together well.


I laser cut some rings the same size as the top of the bowl and glued them together using super glue to make a press mold. 




I cut a piece of copper just larger than the press mold and annealed it. 


I then placed the copper on the press mold with rubber above and pressed the copper. 
I didn’t want the copper to snap at the rim so I took it up to two bar and then re-annealed it.

I pressed again taking the pressure up to three bars.  

I then pierced out the edge of the copper bowl and filed it.

I used 280 grit wet and dry paper to put a mat finish on the copper using a circular motion. 

Instead of polishing to a high finish which would oxidise quickly anyway I decided to use platinol to blacken the copper.

I am pretty happy with the finished piece although I am not happy with some of the platinol and may re-apply this tomorrow.

Advertisements

Cutlery

This week I have started to design my cutlery in CAD.  I have been thinking about this for a long while and trying to decide weather to hand forge them with my 3D printed hammer or press them.  As I have time restraints on the build I decided that pressing them would cut down time in production of a large quantity.

1

I have played around with shapes and forms and decided to go for something simple but with a twist in the form.  The CAD models have taken about 3-4 days of trying to come up with the best forms.  I’m the end I used a combination of t-splines and surface modelling.  Although the surface modelling took a lot longer I got better results.2

I should get the press mold back next week to try the spoon as a test.  Then I can make any tweeks I need to make to the design of the mould fore the rest or the range.4

Shot glass samples

I got back my shot glass samples from the second firing and glazing.  The red glaze was fired slightly too high and the colour burnt out.      I was however very pleased with the green.  It has a nice turquoise sheen to the surface.

    

Within the samples I experimented with different ways of glazing them.  Some of the samples had two coats anfd others had three.  I found that the ones that had three coats was too much and the glaze ran onto the kiln shelf.  Some of these broke when removing from the kiln and looked unsightly.  I shall therefore be glazing my final glasses with two coats.

  
This is my favourite design that I feel I will be using for the final run I will be making.  I have glazed the inside with white as it is non-toxic.

 Over the last few weeks I have also been re-printing the press molds at a greater size to take into account shrinkage.  I sampled this the other night.  I tried to make the walls a little thinner than in the samples so they will feel a little more delicate.  I had problems with one part of the top of the mold which has a deep overhang.  I cant remove the clay without this part ripping.  I have decided I will redesign this half of the mold and re-print it before making the full set.