I finally got my shot glasses back from their third and final firing. Again they are a little smaller than I had hoped . Some are more useable than others but I have enough for a collection. I am really happy with the finish on the glaze with the final green added. It gives the pieces individuality and makes then feel more organic.
I am also really happy with the way the detailing from the rough print has came out in contrast to the smoother mold printed.
Over the last few weeks I have been having problems with the goblets bending at the stem and touching other items in the kiln. Although I gave a few of them a knock and they came apart they are imperfect and I plan to redesign the whole thing.
The pint tumblers are working out great. I have a perfect set of four now and a few more in the process of making.
This afternoon I have been building a 3D model of a design for a drinking tumbler. Because of the height of the piece I will find this hard to press from a mould so I am going to try and slip cast this along side the wine goblets. The CAD model is just over 16cm which I am hoping will give a good size after taking into account shrinkage during the firing process.
I am going for a similar design to my whisky glasses as I wish for the same theme to run through out the collection that will be used in my kitchen. These pieces will be smooth all over as apposed to the whisky vessels which have texture down one side.
Today I have been trying out the press mold for my whisky glasses. The first few I did were a little floored but the more I made the better they became. My 3D printed chizel was perfect for cutting off the excess clay from the top of the mold. I was keen to see the effect of using molds printed on different machines. The mold from the ultimaker gave a much smoother finish to the pieces. I like the effect of the two contrasting textures.
Close up showing both textures in the clay.
Selection I have made so far.
Some of the vessels came out with areas that were not smooth. I found placing the clay back into the molds and pressing them again sorted out this problem.
Mold before use.
Clay pressed into the mold.
Clay cut with 3D printed chisel.
To speed up the drying process I used my hair dryer. This worked well for the clay but warped the outside of the orange mold slightly with the heat. The inside seems to not have been effected which is good.
Clay smoothed down and drying also showing warped mold.
After spending Saturday and Sunday trying to print out the press mold from my M3D micro I have been left with a pile of nice white and orange spaghetti resembling parts of my mold. I managed to get one half of the mold printed ok. This is in orange PLA. This morning David at the City of Glasgow College kindly printed the second half for me in a bright red PLA from the College ultimaker machine. The ultimaker gave a much smoother finish than the M3D. I will try the two parts with clay but may need to get both printed on the same machine.
Failed M3D print on lowest quality setting.
Print from the ultimaker machine.
I did manage to get a few samples from the half build press molds over the weekend. I placed the join of the molds where the join of the triangles meet in the piece so that the final piece is less messy to look at by eye. I used my 3D printed Chizel to take the excess clay off the mold.
A few of the first pieces I tried were quite difficult to get out of the molds when wet. I tried spraying the mold with wD40 before hand and then drying the clay a little with my hairdryer before removing. This made the process much easier.
I am happy with the form of the pieces. I think maybe I should try accentuating the overhangs in some places where they might be a little subtle or lost compared to other sections.
After spending a few weeks playing with porcelain and designing the ceramic bedroom light it has given me some ideas for making drinking vessels for my container. I have been coming up with some designs in my sketchbook along the same lines as the base of the bedroom light I have designed.
Through these pieces I would really like to be able to show the mixture and contrast between the handmade and the use of CAD. What I really enjoy about this with clay is the way in which clay is naturally so organic and malleable by hand. It makes the process easy to both impress on and use CAD but also has a warm hand made finish or feeling.
The glasses will be pressed into CAD molds and hand finished on the inside. I would really like to use a simple white cracked glaze on the outside and a more metallic glaze splash of colour on the inside.
Render of shot glass designs.
Last night I came home from work excitedly with plans to print a small shot glass and make them over the weekend. As I went to bed last night I set my printer up to print the mold through the night. I woke up at 4am to a strange buzzing noise. As I got out of bed I found a big pile of white spaghetti in my printer. The print was due to take 7 hours, so I collaborated the printer set up the print again and went back to bed.
My overnight print fails.
The same thing happened at 8am and again at 10am. I have cut down the mold size a little to make the build 5 hours and put on to build again. Fingers crossed this one is going to work so I can make some shot glasses later.