Crochet Update

Over the last few weeks I have been making a lot of the textiles for the house.   I spent a day a few weeks ago learning some new patterns and experimenting.

  

After trying about 4-5 new designs I decided I would start to make a curtain for the container windows.  I went with a very neutral cream colour as I want the main features to be both the view from the windows and the interior.

  

I have also started making some cushion covers for the living room.  I have decided to go with green and cream as a colour theme to reflect the surrounding forest area.  I have run with the pleated pattern idea as it is a fairly simple yet effective design.

After crocheting half of one of the covers my crochet needle snapped.  I have been using this since November so it wasn’t a bad life span for a piece of 3D printed plastic.  I am currently in the process of printing off another one which will take an hour to print.  This is much quicker and cheaper than getting the bus to town or ordering one online.

 After about 20mins use the hook I printed in low quality broke.  I was able to see viably the strands of plastic poking out of the break like frayed string.  I then re-printed the hook in high quality which took 2 hours 20mins to print.

Advertisements

3D Printed Crochet Hook

For most of my life I have had a real adversion to making anything in textiles or fabric.  Today I got over that fear and decided that I should lean in order to be able to make the fabric items for my house.  I started by looking up YouTube videos on how to crochet.  I then made a crochet hook in Rhino and printed it from my home M3D.  I printed using the highest quality settings and it took 2 hours to print.


First attempt at crochet from para cord.

I managed to sort out the problems I was having with my printer changing where it was building on the bed mid build.  This was down to the filament catching and not unraveling properly while printing.


First piece, half made.


Second sample.

The crocheting took a few attempts and unraveling before I got the hang of it.  I was worried about the hook not being strong enough  however it held up throughout the day’s work.  I printed the hook at around 4mm thickness.  The tool was easy to use, however the part the finger should grip was a little low and so I need to develop the handle of the design to make it a little more comfortable.


3D printed crochet hook.

One of the other problems with using the hook straight off the machine is the support structure left on the handle.  When removing the support it left small spikes of plastic that weren’t comfortable on the hand.  I could either file these away or print on a machine that builds from the base rather that supports.


Underside of crochet hook showing rogue support material.