I finished my large blanket for my bed last week. I added on tassels down the two sides. This was mainly to mask where I had missed a few stitches at the sides. The blanket is really heavy. I spent roughly £200 in wool on this. I am very pleased with the final result although it took over a month to make and cost rather a lot in money.
I then spent 4 days teaching myself how to make Granny squares and made a throw arranged in the Fibonacci sequence. This costa far less than the last blanket and took 4 -5 days to complete. I spent £80 on wool for this piece.
I used two strands of wool for this as apposed to the four that I used for the previous blanket.
My cats helped in the process as well making sure the throw was effective in warmth and comfort.
I haven’t posted much of the crochet I have been making over the last month yet. I have had a few projects on the go so here they are:
My first project I finished was a snood. As it was my first finished item I wasn’t entirely sure what I was doing. I set out to make a normal tube shaped snood. However, after a few rows I realised that I was making a Mobius loop. This happened at the stage where I joined the first loop together. After crocheting the second row I skipped over to the other side which meant as I continued to crochet out the snood grew from both sides.
My second project was a pair of hand warmers. However I didn’t take into account the amount of black wool I had left, so I am waiting for more to arrive in the post to finish the second one. With the hand warmers I figured out how to crochet straight after the first row not creating a Mobius loop.
I thought I would then treat myself to a warm headband to keep my hair out of my eyes when I’m working. This took about two hours to make and again is a Möbius loop as I think it adds a subtle bit of interest in the piece when worn.
I have started making my first cushion covers for adding the soft finishing touches to my home.
This is the first one I started, however I made some mistakes at the edges of the pieces. I am going to take this one apart and start it again.
This Is the second cushion cover I have started making. I am much happier with the edges of this as I have perfected the changing stick at the end of the pieces.
This is my biggest project so far. I have began to make a blanket to be used either in the bedroom or as a throw in the living room or the container. So far I have spent two full days making this one and as I have ran out of wool I will need to wait a few days to continue. I plan to add in a lot of black and monochrome strips to this with a few hints of bright colours. I also plan to add tassels to the edges. I suspect that by the time I finish this piece I would have spent a few weeks time making it. I really love the feel of the piece and it is already quite heavy and warm. It will be a very functional piece and I feel the fact it is entirely handmade will add to the unique feeling.