Tumbler Slip Cast Mold

Today I finished off making my tumbler slip cast mold.  I started my filing down the two parts I had made last week.  I keyed in 3 lock holes  and the cleaned and soft soaped the top surface.  Instead of drilling into the top section after casting as I had done with the previous mold, I built a clay cone on top.

 I then clamped around the wooden walls and sealed the edges with clay.

 After drying, I took off the wooden walls and then filed the sides down and scraped with a kidney.

 I am very pleased with the accuracy of this mold.  It has worked much better than the goblet mold as it was far less complicated to make.  I have left the mold to dry for three days before I will try using it for slip casting.

  

Tumbler

This afternoon I have been building a 3D model of a design for a drinking tumbler.  Because of the height of the piece I will find this hard to press from a mould so I am going to try and slip cast this along side the wine goblets.  The CAD model is just over 16cm which I am hoping will give a good size after taking into account shrinkage during the firing process.

tumbler2

I am going for a similar design to my whisky glasses as I wish for the same theme to run through out the collection that will be used in my kitchen.  These pieces will be smooth all over as apposed to the whisky vessels which have texture down one side.